Sunday, September 18, 2011

How long should memory in a dell laptop last?

I have had my laptop for two years with no problems but lately either the LED will go crazy and I'll be forced to manually turn it off or when I turn it off voluntarily, it will not reboot. The A indicator flashes and then the computer turns back off. Someone at dell told me I needed to replace the memory but will that fix my problem? How long is memory supposed to last? Is there something I can do to prolong the end of my memories life until I recieve the new memory in the mail?|||Well as long as the memory has not been subjected to static discharges or overheating, the memory modules should outlast the computer itself. Before I went and bought new memory, I think I would try removing the chips and reinserting them. This usually fixes 95% of all memory chip related problems. Sometimes heat causes the chips to get loose. Removing them and reinserting them usually bring back the nice tight fit that they require. Oh I would take the battery out and unplug the power cord for 10-15 minutes before touching the memory chips.|||Memory should last appx 10-15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment