Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How can I restore my Dell Studio 1555 to factory setting when f8 doesn't work?

I'm trying to restore my Dell Studio 1555 to factory image, but when I select f8 at launch, the repair computer option is not there. I've used the reinstall disc, but that seemed to cause it's own problems. I really want it to go back to factory image and I can't seem to get the pcrestore fuction to give me that option. Please help!|||Repair computer isn't going to restore it, it will simply repair your existing files.





You need to boot into the recovery partition itself and restore to out of box settings. Most likely your problems are hardware related, and aren't due to the CD or recovery partition. Perhaps you need to install a new HDD.|||Looks like your best bet now is to reinstall the OS.





Then install drivers and such from Dell.





There is a suggested install order for drivers by Dell.





1) You may already know this, but after you format your drivers should be installed in a specific order - see here - Dells can be fussy about this:





http://support.dell.com/support/topics/g鈥?/a>








2) I would recommend that you check the drivers page and download the ones that match your hardware BEFORE you reformat/reinstall and put them on a CD or a USB key. If you wait until after you format it's much harder to tell which of the available drivers you need - even with the service tag it lists all the drivers for the model, not just the ones specific to your particular tag.





You can use a tool like Belarc Advisor to generate a hardware inventory so you can match the drivers correctly:





http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

No comments:

Post a Comment