Sunday, September 18, 2011

How do you back up a dell dimension 4700 manually? And then recover the computer completely?

Hi there,





I have a dell dimension 4700. And I have no clue how to back up the computer manually. Can anyone help me?





Also after I back up the computer I want to completely recover the computer back to the way that it was when I first bought it. Can anyone help with that?|||You get a spare hard drive at least as big as the drive that you currently have, and a copy of Acronis True Image - one that will work for your operating system, which you didn't tell us!





You install the second hard drive in your computer and use True Image to make a back-up copy of the drive to the second drive. Now, you have a copy. I have done this, but I discovered that Norton anti-virus stuff knew that it had been messed with and would not copy correctly. Other than that, the back-up was fine.





Now, you say "manually." Does that mean without software? Well, I don't think that you can do that. Depending on what operating system you have, you can make back-ups of some stuff but not everything. Acronis True Image makes an - almost - complete copy of the hard drive. It also makes it possible, I believe, to make incremental backups over time. This means that it only backs up the part that changes (increments) and not all the hard drive all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment