Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I close my dell laptop and still run windows from my 2nd monitor without going into Standby?

I have my dell Inspiron laptop with a 19" monitor on the side plugged in. The monitor is the primary Screen and when I close the laptop, it goes into standby. Isn't there a way to have it that I can close the laptop and it's still running? How can I do this?|||You need to change the power settings to do this right click on the battery symbol near the clock on the bottom right side. A menu will appear select 'adjust power options'. on the top of the menu that will appear select 'Advanced'.





You will then see some drop down menus on the one labeled 'When I close the lid of my portable computer' select 'do nothing'. Click apply and your done!|||Check your display/power settings - there should be a place that allows you to specify what should/should not happen when you shut the lid.





Try going to control panel --%26gt; display --%26gt; advanced.|||lks_cara has it dead right. You can also adjust you power scheme so that it never auto goes into standby when it's plugged in.|||It depends on your graphics setup but it may work to just plug the monitor into your laptop's VGA port before you turn it on and then open the laptop briefly to turn it on. Then you should see the startup process on the external monitor. If that doesn't work then you'll have to go into display properties and change the settings to make the external monitor the primary monitor. You can also turn off hibernate and standby in display properties. (Right click on desktop, select properties)


I really like the docking station solutions you can get for a Dell laptop. It makes the process 100X easier. You just dock your notebook, the display comes up on the external monitor and when you want to take your notebook somewhere, undock and the settings go back.|||You must change the power option "when I close the lid of my laptop" to DO NOTHING.





It's in the Control Panel / Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment